If you want to build a website, you either need to know how to code or you need to hire someone who does. That’s the problem Wix tries to solve with their website builder.
Creating a stunning website doesn’t get any easier when using a website builder. Today’s website builder tools create sites that are mobile optimized, and have built-in advanced image editors and use easy drag n drop functionality.
What Is Wix
Wix is a drag-and-drop website builder that helps you design a professional looking website on your own. And that’s not all.
It allows you to build websites with as much or as little functionality you want. Whether you want to start a blog or build an eCommerce site, Wix has got you covered.
Wix.com allows you to build fully functional websites without writing a single line of code. All you have to do is drag and drop elements on the page to edit the design.
Wix’s main features are:
- More than 500 stunning, mobile optimized, designs and templates covering all industries.
- Powerful customization tools including one of the best drag-and-drop editor in the business.
- Ecommerce ready allowing you to sell digital or physical goods using multiple payment methods.
- Connect your own domain name and SSL certificate.
- 24/7 help by phone and email, plus loads of help articles and videos.
Now let’s have a look at 8 competitor sites like Wix which are the best Wix alternatives right now:
- Official website: www.shopify.com
- The most popular ecommerce software platform for building online stores.
- Manage everything from marketing to payment processing on one platform.
Why Use Shopify Instead of Wix
Shopify is the best choice and the most recommended option for beginners wanting to build an online store. It comes with everything you will need to easily start and manage an online store.
The platform is built with beginners in mind and comes packed with all the must-have ecommerce software features, yet it’s very easy to use.
Why Use Wix Instead of Shopify
Wix is much easier to use than Shopify but lacks a lot of functionality that Shopify has to offer. If you want to start an online store, then Shopify makes more sense. But if you just want to build a site to test the waters, then go with Wix.
- Official website: www.weebly.com
- Weebly’s eCommerce platform is powered by Square.
- Website builder that is built with ecommerce in mind.
Why Use Weebly Instead of Wix
Weebly is more suited for people who wish to build an ecommerce site without writing a single line of code. The drag and drop builder allows you to easily customize the design of the pages of your site.
Why Use Wix Instead of Weebly
If you want a simple site builder to build a basic website, then Wix is the way to go.
- Official website: www.squarespace.com
- One of the most popular drag and drop website builders.
- Known for the hundreds of beautiful design templates offered.
Why Use Squarespace Instead of Wix
Squarespace shares a lot of similarities with Wix. They both offer a drag and drop platform that allows you to build more than just pretty looking websites.
Whether you want to whip out a basic portfolio site or build a full-blown online store, Squarespace can help you.
If you are just starting out, Squarespace may not be the best platform for you. Their tools come with a little bit of a learning curve.
Why Use Wix Instead of Squarespace
If you are just starting out and need an easy beginner friendly website builder, then go with Wix.
- Official website: www.site123.com
- Easy to use website builder that comes with a free plan.
- Allows you to build eCommerce sites as well.
Why Use Site123 Instead of Wix
Site123 offers an easy-to-use site builder that you can use to build all types of sites including simple blogs and complex eCommerce sites.
Why Use Wix Instead of Site123
Wix offers a lot more functionality and features than Site123. And they have been in business much longer and are more trusted in the industry.
5. GoDaddy GoCentral
- Official website: www.godaddy.com
- GoDaddy is one of the most trusted web hosts and domain providers on the Internet.
- Going with GoDaddy allows you to manage everything all in one place including your domains and web hosting accounts.
Why Use GoDaddy Website Builder Instead of Wix
GoDaddy is the big daddy of web hosting and domain name registration. If you want to be able to scale your website more than just a few pages built with a drag and drop builder, then you should go with GoDaddy. They offer everything you need to run and scale a website easily.
Why Use Wix Instead of GoDaddy Website Builder
Wix is much easier to use than GoDaddy’s GoCentral Website Builder. Wix’s whole platform is built just to provide a drag and drop website building.
- Official website: www.strikingly.com
- Started out as a drag and drop builder for building personal sites.
- Allows building all types of websites including eCommerce sites.
Why Use Strikingly Instead of Wix
Strikingly offers everything you will need to build and manage your website including marketing tools and analytics. You can use Strikingly to build a beautiful portfolio site or sell your own products online.
Why Use Wix Instead of Strikingly
Wix offers a little more functionality and more tools to help you run your website. But Strikingly is a little easier to use and learn.
- Official website: www.ucraft.com
- Free website builder with hundreds of beautiful templates to choose from.
- Allows you to connect your domain name for free.
Why Use Ucraft Instead of Wix
Ucraft offers a simple interface to create and manage your websites. They offer a free plan which allows you to build a basic website if you are just out testing the waters.
Unlike most other website builders on this list, Ucraft is one of the only few that allows you to connect a custom domain name to your website for free without upgrading to a premium plan.
Why Use Wix Instead of Ucraft
With Wix, you can build a full-blown website with as much or as little functionality as you like. Ucraft is a bit limited that way.
- Official website: www.boldgrid.com
- Create a website powered by WordPress without having to deal with web hosting server setup.
- Use the BoldGrid builder to easily build and customize the design of your website.
Why Use BoldGrid Instead of Wix
BoldGrid simply allows you to build a WordPress powered website and then lets you use the BoldGrid Builder to design your website however you like. The builder comes with dozens of templates to choose from.
Why Use Wix Instead of BoldGrid
Unlike BoldGrid, which involves using and learning WordPress, Wix is much easier to learn and understand.
Best Wix Alternatives: Summary
So is Wix any good? Yes it’s a really good website builder, but..
If you want full control on your website, go with BoldGrid. Their platform allows you to easily create a WordPress website and then edit it with the BoldGrid builder.
If you want to build a full-blown eCommerce site, then go with Shopify. Their platform is built with the aim to make it easy to build and manage an eCommerce site.
If you want an easier alternative to Wix, then go with Weebly.