Bluehost isn’t necessarily the best web host for everybody. Maybe you feel that the list of cons is too long and you have decided to look for an alternative to Bluehost?
Then look no further. Enter InMotion Hosting and SiteGround.
Two solid alternatives to Bluehost I think you should take a closer look at.
Because these two competitors are more than a match for Bluehost and both are good alternatives if you’re searching for quality web hosting at an affordable price.
But are they really any better than Bluehost?
Let’s find out which one is the better web host, Bluehost – InMotion Hosting or SiteGround?
First let’s take a look at InMotion Hosting.
Widely recommended as a superior small business web host, InMotion Hosting is well worth considering.
InMotion Hosting has been around for more than a decade and they offer affordable, high performance and independent web hosting. The packages available will allow you to host your website with them for just over $5 per month (check current deals).
InMotion Hosting Pros
These are loads of superb things worth highlighting, but here are the main advantages of InMotion Hosting:
- Lots of features are included for free (other competitors offer as paid upgrades). InMotion offers free website transfer, free automatic daily backups, free SSD drives are included with all hosting plans, and a free domain name for one year is included with all plans.
- You get lightning fast and reliable hosting thanks to Max Speed Zones, a peering based network-level feature with CDN-level usability that ensures your site loads blazing fast for all visitors in as many different locations as possible. You also get to choose from 2 different server locations; US East Coast (which gives faster connectivity to Eastern US, Europe, Africa and South America) and another in the West Coast (Western US, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific).
- Optimized for WordPress. You can choose to get WordPress pre-installed by a technical expert, and you’ll get auto-updating of core WordPress and security patches, free backups and WP-CLI integration. You also get free SSDs for up to 20x faster load speeds and improved performance and stability on their CloudLinux platform with OptimumCache, PHP 7, and custom built-in enhancements.
- 90-days money-back guarantee (is industry leading) along with anytime money back guarantee for all new orders (not for renewals). The guarantee does not apply to add-ons such as SSL certificates or domain names.
InMotion Hosting offers a near perfect solution when it comes to hosting. But, it does come with a couple of disadvantages as well.
The main one is it’s difficult to sign up for an account because you have to go through a physical phone verification process first. This is so they can banish fake users.
InMotion Hosting Cons
The main reasons not to use InMotion Hosting include:
- No instant account setup. InMotion requires all new customers to be manually verified for security purposes (which is good) which means it can take a bit of time (which is bad) before your hosting account is activated, setup and ready to be used.
- While InMotion offers free automatic website backups, any site exceeding 10GB won’t be backed up and you can only restore files once every four months for the sites that do get backed up. If your site exceeds 10GB in size, then you will need to contact them to arrange backup services at additional cost
InMotion Hosting vs Bluehost
How does InMotion compare to Bluehost? Let’s take a closer look at some of the must-have features:
|Free Domain Name||Yes, for 1 year||Yes, for 1 year|
|Money Back Guarantee||90 days refund||30 days refund|
|Solid-State Drives (SSD)||Yes for free||No don’t have|
|Free Data Backups||Yes, every 24-36h||Yes, once a week|
|Site Transfer/Migration||Free (3 cPanel accounts up to 5GB)||$149.99 (5 sites & 20 email accounts)|
|Pricing||From $5.99/mo||From $3.95/mo|
As you can see, yes there are a fair few reasons not to use InMotion Hosting. But I think that the pros outweigh the cons, and I highly recommend InMotion Hosting. Also InMotion is the clear winner when comparing Bluehost vs InMotion Hosting
Which one is better, Bluehost vs InMotion Hosting? I think InMotion Hosting.
Now let’s take a look at SiteGround.
SiteGround comes in as one of the cheapest web hosts around (on par with Bluehost).
SiteGround is perfect for those who want and expect top notch customer support, but not sacrificing on impressive uptime, quality features or quick server speeds either. Plus their WordPress hosting is (I think) best in class.
They have three different shared hosting packages, with its lowest plan barely costing more than a coffee at Starbucks (check current deals).
So besides the cheap pricing, why should you consider choosing SiteGround as your host of choice?
- Security is not just a marketing gimmick. SiteGround takes security seriously as they perform proactive security patching at a server level and update WordPress installations for you. Plans come with SpamAssassin and SpamExperts, IP address blacklists, Leech Protect, and hotlink protection. Non-entry level plans come with free SSL for added security, and HackAlert Monitoring is an option. All in all SiteGround brings the latest cutting edge technology to the table to make sure your site is safe from spam and malicious attacks.
- Incredible uptime levels. SiteGround has a unique downtime prevention software that monitors server statuses in real-time, and 90% of performance issues are instantly detected and automatically resolved. Meaning downtime is not problem with SiteGround. They boast an uptime rate of over 99%, which will allow you to keep your site up and running at all times without any problems.
- Your site will load fast (“Warp speed, Mr. Sulu”). Super fast servers thanks to an advanced website optimization caching system called “SuperCacher,” which is built to dramatically improve your site’s performance and speed.
- SiteGround is an official WordPress host (so is Bluehost) and is one of the best hosting providers for WordPress hosting right now. Free managed WordPress hosting comes with all plans, meaning SiteGround will take care of common security holes by auto-updating your WordPress site, they will perform server-level maintenance, and even provide backups for you. You also get access to their WordPress SuperCacher and free CDN that will speed up your WordPress site.
These are four of the reasons why SiteGround is one of the most popular web hosting companies available to you today.
Like with any web hosting company, there are a few downsides to SiteGround as well. Here are some of the reasons why you might want to stay away from SiteGround.
- The cheapest plan comes with limited CPU usage, meaning your website can be temporarily shut down due to CPU overuse. SiteGround does have limits (on daily CPU usage and script executions), and if you exceeded your plan’s resource limit your website can be temporarily shut down.
- Limited disk space. Compared to other web hosts, like Bluehost, SiteGround’s storage space is a bit on the low size. Their entry level “Startup” plan allows for one website and 10GB of storage space. They recommend this plan if you get less than 10,000 visits monthly.
- SiteGround offers free site migration but transferring your website to SiteGround can be a clunky and somewhat difficult process. It’s also reported to be a bit slow. Some users have reported it taking days to complete the transfer.
- If you choose to pay month to month then there is a “setup fee” associated with this payment option. This hidden setup cost isn’t expensive, it’s more annoying than anything else.
SiteGround vs Bluehost
Okay so how does SiteGround compare to Bluehost? Let’s take a look at some of the core features:
|Domain Name||Free (for as long as you stay with SG)||Free, for 1 year|
|Money Refund Policy||30 days money back guarantee||30 days money back guarantee|
|Free Solid-State Drives (SSD)||Yes||No|
|Free Website & Data Backups||Yes, one daily backup||Yes, one weekly backup|
|Site Transfer/Migration||Free (professional transfer of 1 site)||$149.99 (5 sites & 20 email accounts)|
|Pricing||From $3.95/mo||From $3.95/mo|
Overall, SiteGround is a pretty fantastic web hosting platform for people who’re creating their first website. More experienced web users may find there are better options to fit in with their needs. In the above Bluehost vs SiteGround comparison, SiteGround comes out as the clear winner.
Which one is better, Bluehost vs SiteGround? SiteGround, no doubt!
Wrap up; Bluehost vs SiteGround and InMotion Hosting
InMotion Hosting and SiteGround are both great alternatives to Bluehost, but it’s up to you to make your own decision. Determine the needs of your own website before you commit to any single one.
Obviously there are loads more web hosts out there but I can’t and won’t cover them all here. If you want to research more companies then you can go to a site like reviewsquirrel.com and check out their InMotion, SiteGround and Bluehost reviews.
Remember, each and everyone of these web hosts offer money back guarantees, as a result you can “try before you buy” and sign up with them to try them out.