Moving this WordPress site over to SiteGround's web hosting was probably the best decision I ever made when it comes to getting a faster website. So if you haven’t already, you should go and sign up with SiteGround too.
But how do you install WordPress on SiteGround?
In this tutorial I will show you how easy it is to install WordPress on your SiteGround hosting account.
There is a number of possible ways on how to install WordPress to your SiteGround hosting account, but here I am going to guide you through two of the easiest and quickest WordPress installation methods.
How to install WordPress on SiteGround – using The Setup Wizard
Step 1: Sign up with SiteGround hosting and login to your SiteGround Customer Area
Step 2: Now you will see a popup window asking you if you want to “Start a new website”. Click on the WordPress button.
Step 3: Now a new section will appear on the page where you need to enter the login information (email, username, and password) for your new WordPress website.Click on the Confirm button.
Step 4: Next, select what (if any) Enhancements you wish to add (you can add them in later if needed). Click on the Complete Setup button.
That's everything! Now go to your website and check out the newly installed WordPress software application.
If you don't choose a theme via the installation wizard, you will get the default basic WordPress theme installed for you. If you already have a WordPress theme you you want to use then don't choose a template from here.
Now how easy was that! The next method involves a few more steps and allows you to customize your WordPress installation on SiteGround a bit more.
How to install WordPress on SiteGround – using Softaculous
This method is a bit more semi-automatic and it uses the Softaculous WordPress Installer (as this gives you a few more options to customize your WordPress installation).
So what's Softaculous? Basically it's a software script library that automates the installation of open-source applications like WordPress (but also Joomla, Magento etc.).
Step 1: Login to your SiteGround Customer Area and access your controlpanel (called cPanel)
Step 2: Next, look for the “WordPress Installer” icon. Click on it
Then you'll be taken to a page that gives you a bit of an overview of WordPress.
Step 3: Click on the “Install” button
This will take you to a page with settings for your WordPress site.
Step 4: WordPress software setup settings
Here I will walk you through each setting, one by one:
- Choose protocol. Choose which of the provided protocols your WordPress website should be accessible from. For example I use https://www.websitehostingrating.com
- Choose domain. Select the domain name you want to install WordPress on from the drop box
- Install in directory. Leave this blank to install on the domain directly. If you are installing in a subfolder of your site you type in the folder name. For example, if you type in folder-name then WP will be installed: website.com/folder-name.
- Site name. The name of your WordPress site.
- Site description. The description or “tagline” for your WordPress site.
- Enable multisite (WPMU). Make sure this box is unchecked as you don't want WPMU (Multiuser) enabled.
- Admin username. Enter a username for your WordPress Dashboard login.
- Admin password. Enter a password for your WordPress Dashboard login.
- Admin email. Enter an email address for your WordPress Dashboard login.
- Select language. Choose what language you would like your WordPress platform installed in. The list of supported languages is quite big and most probably you will find your native language there
- Limit login attempts (Loginizer). Enable this checkbox as you want the “Limit Login Attempts” plugin installed, as it boosts the security on your WordPress website
- Choose a theme to install. Select none unless you want to use a WordPress theme from the dropdown.
- Advanced options. Here you can rename the database name and table prefix, but you can leave the default values as-is.
- Install. Hit the install button and WordPress will begin installing, once done you will be shown the login details (and emailed too to the above email address you nominated)
Voila! WordPress should now be installed on SiteGround
In case you've followed the steps from this tutorial, you will now have a WordPress website installed and all set up on your SiteGround hosting account.
You can now login to WordPress and begin editing themes, uploading plugins, and adding content to your brand new WordPress website.