With literally thousands of web hosting options out there, you would probably expect the newer ones to offer more innovative and better hosting features.
It may come as a surprise, then, to learn that one of the fastest growing, most respected and most reliable hosting services is also one of the oldest, and that is: InMotion Hosting.
Founded in 2001, InMotion Hosting has positioned itself as a trusted web hosting company that experienced webmasters trust and move to every day. But let’s find out if that is really the case.
Here I am going to take a close look at the pros and cons of this hosting service to see how it lives up to its reputation as a reliable web host that can handle all your web hosting needs for your growing online business.
If you give me 10 minutes of your time, then I will give you all the must-know information about InMotion and I answer questions like.
- How much does InMotion Hosting cost?
- What’s the difference between the different plans?
- Do you get to choose a server location?
- What are the pros and cons of using them?
- Do they give me automatic backups of my site?
- Does it come with SSD drives?
- Do they help transfer my website over to them?
- Which is the best hosting plan for a WordPress site?
When you have finished reading this you will know if this is the right web hosting service for you to use, and if you should sign up with them or not.
This is what you’ll learn from this InMotion Hosting review
- List of pros and cons
- Hosting plans & prices
Here I’ll cover the plans and prices and what you get and what the features are for each plan.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Here I’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about InMotion Hosting.
- Do I Recommend InMotion Hosting?
Here I’ll tell you if I recommend them or if I think you are better off signing up with a competitor.
There are many web hosting services out there, and it can be difficult to sift through them and find one with a plan and features that work best for you.
InMotion Hosting is a good option because it caters to just about everyone. Their web hosting service offers several affordable hosting plans.
They also provides really good uptime and helpful customer service to help answer any questions you may have along the way.
Below, I’ll outline the hosting plans offered in my inMotion hosting review (October 2018) and delve deeper into what I find useful about their service as well as what I think could be better.
List of Pros & Cons
If you’re wondering about the pros and cons are then I got you covered.
Let’s start by taking a look at what the pros are.
If you have had any previous experience with a web host, you know how easy it is to initially ignore the customer service factor. But undoubtedly, you will have some issues, and when they crop up, you need reliable and fast support.
Your business quite literally depends on it, since even a brief glitch in your website could mean the loss of numerous customers. At InMotion, they have many strengths where customer support is concerned:
- U.S. based support: One of the biggest perks about using them is that you are guaranteed to get support that is based in the United States. This means faster response time as well as higher quality customer care.
Additionally, the customer reps that you will speak with are actually knowledgeable. All support staff is required to have at least 160 hours of internal training before being allowed to interact with customers.
I have found that they actual have the expertise required to properly handle your unique issues and are not just relying on a troubleshooting script.
- Great onboarding process: They also have a fantastic process for getting you started using their hosting services. Especially if this is your first time getting your own website up and running, this is a major bonus.
They send a series of helpful onboarding emails to help you with each phase of setting up your website on their server. What is particularly helpful is that these emails are tailored to your specific type of website and its main purpose, so you get relevant setup instructions.
The end result is that this process preemptively avoids a lot of potential support problems down the road after you set up, because it takes care of them at the very start.
- Multiple communication channels: They also offer numerous avenues through which to get customer support. You can do a live chat through their website, send an email, use the traditional ticket system, call in using Skype, or you can phone in on 888.321.HOST(4678).
I have found the response time for each to be fast. You can expect to get the support you need in a timely manner, which is important since every minute counts.
- 24/7 support: Like every good hosting service, their support team will take care of all the challenges you come across, no matter how difficult they might be – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Hosting Performance & Speed
Their customer support is not the only thing InMotion Hosting excels at. The speed and performance of their servers are also very impressive.
To date, they have never had a major outage and they have an average uptime of 99.97%, which is pretty darn good for a service of their size.
Furthermore, unlike many other shared web hosting services out there, they do not oversell their servers. In other words, they do not allow too many sites to be hosted on the same server.
Instead, they keep each server limited to what it can legitimately handle, meaning that even if multiple sites hit peak traffic at the same time, the server can handle it better.
Besides the above there are a number of more unique features that IMH employs to ensure uptime, speed and security for their hosting customers:
- SSD drives for all of their servers: First off, every single server is supported by SSD (Solid-State Drive) drives, instead of a traditional HDD (hard disk drive) drive.
Because SSD drives are chip based (non-mechanical), instead of disk based, it is significantly faster at retrieving the stored data.
This means faster loading times and faster data retrieval for those utilizing your website, which means fewer people leaving your site because it takes too long.
According to InMotion, and internal testing they performed:
- SSDs perform about 20 times faster than HDDs
- SSDs were able to push through about 65% more data from the server
- During times of high I/O requests, these data numbers rose to approximately 95% when compared to HDDs
- Multiple data centers and Max Speed Zones: Another unique element of InMotion is that instead of having one data center that serves the entire country, they have multiple data centers.
When purchasing their services, you get to choose a location that best serves you (based on where the bulk of your customers or visitors are from).
To see which data center works best for your location, they even have a file download test you can use on their website to compare which center gives you faster service!
Because they have multiple data centers, they also have what they dub Max Speed Zones that refer to geographical locations within a certain range of their centers. If you are within their Max Speed Zone, they promise that your website and email can run up to 6 times faster.
- Strong focus on security: They take security seriously as they will monitor server security 24/7. Your websites are covered by DDoS protection, advanced firewall systems like ModSecurity as well as custom firewall rules.
- Solid WordPress features: They offer managed WordPress hosting on all plans, in terms of core WordPress auto updates and patching of common security holes.
- All WordPress sites runs on a CloudLinux platform with OptimumCache enabled.
- You can choose to have WordPress pre-installed when you sign up, or you can submit a website transfer request afterwards.
- All WordPress sites come with WP-CLI integration (a command-line tool for managing WordPress installation, meaning you can update plugins, configure installation and much more, without using a web browser).
- PHP 7 is available on InMotion WordPress hosting. PHP 7 helps WordPress sites perform as much as 2 to 3 times faster versus prior PHP versions.
InMotion Hosting offers FREE private SSL certificates on all Shared Business Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Server plans. IMH customers can now easily secure their websites for safe browsing with a single click.
- Domain Validated SSL
- 256-bit Encryption
- Powered by Comodo and cPanel
- Free Automatic SSL Renewal
Offering free private SSL certificates is a great move, and
perfectmust-have for ecommerce sites, as a free SSL certificate allows you to accept payments and complete online transactions worry-free.
Free Website Backups
Besides strong customer service and high-quality hosting performance, I have found that they have a few other serious advantages to consider.
One of these is that they offer free website backups. It is not uncommon for hosting services to regularly perform backups, but it is unusual that they offer backup retrieval for free.
Most hosting services charge a fee when you need an emergency backup, but InMotion does not.
There are couple of limits that apply to the backups included with your account. Restoring your account is free, but limited to once every 4 months. A fee of $49 will apply for any additional restores. Also if your site is larger than 10GB then it will not be backed up automatically.
Free Site Migration
Another pro is that if you are moving your website from one hosting service to theirs, they offer a free website transfer service. Their website also promises that your website will experience zero downtime when they perform this transfer.
There are a couple of caveats you should be aware of. Migration of email accounts are only included with cPanel migrations. Non-cPanel migrations may require email to be manually migrated. Costs may apply to website transfers consisting of greater than 3 sites and/or databases or more than 5GB data.
Finally, for a web hosting service that is, frankly, so old for its industry, it certainly isn’t lagging behind the times. They offer many options that mean you have quite a bit of flexibility with your website(s).
When you host through them, you get excellent Google App integration and because of their numerous partnerships with ecommerce services, you can get a lot of ecommerce support and application integration as well.
They also offer a unique service for WordPress integration, including a pre-Installation of WordPress as an option when you purchase hosting through them.
They also provide you with $250 worth of free advertising. You get $100 of Google AdWords credits, $75 of Bing advertising credits and $75 of Yahoo advertising credits, to help you drive quality traffic to your website.
Powerful website builder